Saving the planet... one garment at a time!

... and one upcycle at a time... Welcome to my blog: A place to have an "over the fence conversation" about sewing, altered couture, upcycling, and all kinds of crafts using found objects, beads, ephemera and other vintage finds!


Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Pattern Review: Alice Tunic from the Magic Pattern Book

The Magic Pattern Book by Amy Barickman (Workman Press, 2014, list price $22.95) is one of those great sewing books with endless possibilities for your creativity.  I've had the book for some time, but have not had the time to try any of the patterns.  The premise behind this book is that from variations on six basic patterns, one could make an entire wardrobe.


I decided to first try the Alice Tank Top or tunic.  The pattern is very cute and fits with my current Lagenlook style.  It is pictured in the book styled with leggings, cowboy boots (not my thing, but ok if you like them) and a long thin infinity loop and dangle earrings.  Cute!


Patterns are included on an accompanying CD.  The same issue exists here as with any PDF pattern which prints in tiles and must be taped together.  Care must be taken to align the papers precisely so as not to create and then propagate problems with sewing and fitting the pattern.  The pattern went together "ok".  There were a few spots where it did not match up perfectly and had to be muscled a little bit.  Not the end of the world.

After some initial fiddling with the pattern, all troubles ceased.  The pattern went together like a dream, and was not at all difficult to sew.  I opted to have the neck and armhole facings appear on the outside of the garment as a trim, and I used a solid fabric for the bodice potion of the top.  I carefully saved the pattern pieces, so I can duplicate this top again.


I really love the way the top came out, and I'm sure I'll wear it frequently.  The black linen bodice was cut from fabric I had leftover in my stash from another project.  The floral print on the bottom, and used for the facings as well, came from Fabric.com and was on sale.  Here is Betsy, wearing my new Alice Tank Top.  Oh, by the way, this is a pull on top, as people have asked about closures in the past, wondering if those were just not shown.  No closures here!


Stay tuned for more on the Downton Dress, and my Home Dec project, as well as more random sewing shenanigans when I need a break from the serious stuff!


No comments:

Post a Comment