Saving the planet... one garment at a time!

... and one upcycle at a time... Welcome to my blog: A place to have an "over the fence conversation" about sewing, altered couture, upcycling, and all kinds of crafts using found objects, beads, ephemera and other vintage finds!


Monday, June 15, 2015

A Home Dec Project

I am still working on the Downton Abbey gown my friend commissioned me to make for her.  I'm trying hard to wrap my head around how to cut it.  The fabric is not very wide at all and most of the pieces are to be cut on a fold... I'm still thinking about how I can incorporate a second fabric yet maintain a cohesive and relatively period correct look.

So, of course I took on another commission from another friend. this to do a window seat cushion and pillows.  The fabrics my friend picked out are SO cool.  A bright squash yellow velvet, a stately grey velvet, and a midcentury looking bark cloth.


I decided to tackle two round bolster pillows while I ponder my dress dilemma.  First I made a pattern for the ends, and cut two from the yellow velvet.



I made contrast piping with the colorful fabric and made the pillow ends.


I put a zipper into the seam of the roll.


And, one pillow off the assembly line.  Many more to do, but it helped get the dress dilemma off my mind for a bit.


Hope your Monday is going well!

No comments:

Post a Comment