Saving the planet... one garment at a time!

... and one upcycle at a time... Welcome to my blog: A place to have an "over the fence conversation" about sewing, altered couture, upcycling, and all kinds of crafts using found objects, beads, ephemera and other vintage finds!


Thursday, July 12, 2012

Hand Picked Zipper

I'm working along on my wedding dress, and I decided to do a hand picked zipper, rather than using the machine.  The appearance will be much more subtle on the finished dress.  To review the skills needed, I consulted a recent article in Threads Magazine on hand sewing techniques.  After practicing a bit on plain fabric, I was ready to tackle the real thing.


I applied the zipper with the back seam basted closed.


Here's the completed zipper section of the back bodice.


And here's the inside, with the lining hand stitched down.


Next, I need to apply some lace detailing to the right side of the dress.  this is another lengthy hand sewing project.  Thanks for checking in on my progress!  Do you use a lot of hand sewn details in your work?

No comments:

Post a Comment