Saving the planet... one garment at a time!

... and one upcycle at a time... Welcome to my blog: A place to have an "over the fence conversation" about sewing, altered couture, upcycling, and all kinds of crafts using found objects, beads, ephemera and other vintage finds!


Thursday, May 17, 2012

Men's Shirt Upcycle

Remember the men's shirts I snagged at Salvation Army last week?  I decided to work with the blue checked one, which was $2.99 initial investment.


It's a very nice quality shirt - Polo by Ralph Lauren.  First I cut off the collar and the sleeves.




The I used some scrap quilting fabric I had on hand to make bias binding.  I used this to finish the neck and armholes.  Love the complementary colors!


I fitted the shirt to a woman's contours and added a sash made from the complementary fabric.


I made the back of the shirt into the new front, so all I have left to do is remove the pocket!



Even though the pocket still needs to be removed, I already wore the top out to do some errands.  Very comfy, and nicer looking than my usual T.  I'm pretty pleased with the outcome, but even if it was too "altered" for your tastes, you could wear it as a crafting or kitchen coverall!  What do you think?

7 comments:

  1. I wear regular aprons in the kitchen but I would wear a shirt like you made with a Tshirt underneath for everyday wear - maybe with a denim skirt. It's really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the look and style of this, I would wear this everyday with a Tshirt under it. Would be great with all the denim skirts I wear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, my husband's shirts are in serious danger!!! LOL. Love what you did, it is so darn cute.

    blessings, jilly

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fab, I must try it!
    Visiting from Recycled Fashion!
    Alison
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love mens shirt refashion! thanks for sharing on Recycled Fashion Finds. Your blog background is really pretty too

    ReplyDelete
  6. love it, superb idea. thanks for sharing :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea. This is so cute. I have a link party, and I would love it if you would link this post. You can find it at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/07/face-cleansing-oil-and-wednesdays.html
    It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party.
    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete