Saving the planet... one garment at a time!

... and one upcycle at a time... Welcome to my blog: A place to have an "over the fence conversation" about sewing, altered couture, upcycling, and all kinds of crafts using found objects, beads, ephemera and other vintage finds!


Thursday, May 24, 2012

Completed Project: Upcycle Blouse


I completed the upcycled blouse yesterday, and today I'm going to wear it out to lunch with a friend!  I'm pleased with how it came out.  One thing I forgot to show you in the "before" pictures was that the original dress had a placket of functional buttons up the front.  I liked the faux pearl buttons, so I decided to incorporate this element into the top.


I made the button placket the center front of the top, but I made it non-functional by stitching the placket closed.  It gives the illusion of a button-up blouse, but it can't gap in embarrassing places!


I really need to get a camera with a timer and a tripod so I can take pictures of myself in my creations.  It's a cloudy day, so here's a poorly lit mirror shot just to show that the blouse fits!


Anyway, another project completed!  I'm excited to wear my new blouse.  I like how light and airy the rayon fabric feels, and I like the fact that an outdated dress was saved from the landfill.  Please let me know if there's anything in particular you'd like to see used in an upcycle!

12 comments:

  1. Looks great! I like the buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very pretty and you look nice in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My friend who saw it "live" thought it was nice, too.

      Delete
  3. This is great. I love the tip about sewing up the placket so it doesn't gape open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that I have the largest endowments, but I seem to have gaping problems a lot. This blouse slips overhead so no need for the buttons to be functional!

      Delete
  4. I just love that fabric! What a good idea to recycle a blouse that way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks! Gotta work on the photography though!

      Delete
  6. I love up-cycling clothes. You did a great job. (I found you through frugally sustainable's link party)

    ReplyDelete