Saving the planet... one garment at a time!

... and one upcycle at a time... Welcome to my blog: A place to have an "over the fence conversation" about sewing, altered couture, upcycling, and all kinds of crafts using found objects, beads, ephemera and other vintage finds!


Friday, March 2, 2012

Beginning My Sorbetto



Today I began the process of sewing my Colette Patterns Sorbetto Top.  The image above is from the Colette Patterns blog, where you can download a free copy of this pattern to try yourself!  As I've said many times, "free" is one of my favorite words, second only to "love".  Not that I am opposed to supporting small businesses like Colette Patterns - how could I be, when I am such a business myself?  However, times are tight in my household (and many of yours), so I like to highlight freebies and frugalities whenever I can.


Once you've downloaded the pattern, it prints out, of course, as separate 8.5"x11" inch pieces of paper.  These need to be put in order and joined together, a lot like a jigsaw puzzle (but a beginner one - it wasn't hard at all!).


Then, once you've assembled your pieces, you can cut out the pattern in your chosen size, or trace it.  I chose to cut, yielding the two pattern pieces you see below.  This is a great pattern for beginners.  Two pieces, no closures.  What more could you ask for?


Tomorrow I'll be cutting the pattern.  I'm harvesting the fabric from an old peignoir set that has not fit me in years, but which I could not bear to part with.  Now the fabric will be put to good use!


The plan is to have a new blouse for no monetary outlay - free pattern, recycled fabric, notions on hand.  Please join me as I sew this simple but lovely little project!

No comments:

Post a Comment