Saving the planet... one garment at a time!

... and one upcycle at a time... Welcome to my blog: A place to have an "over the fence conversation" about sewing, altered couture, upcycling, and all kinds of crafts using found objects, beads, ephemera and other vintage finds!


Friday, January 27, 2012

Vintage Goodness in Progress

I've been working hard on my sailor dress.  So far, I'm thrilled that the alterations I made during the muslin phase are paying off in the final garment.  You'll be happy to know the hips are covered!  Now the really daunting work begins... all those buttons (and buttonholes)!  Yes, my machine does have a buttonholer, but I've been entertaining sick thoughts of hand binding them.  I know, I know, I need my head examined!

Which brings me to something I've given a lot of thought to lately.  Probably like you, I read a lot of sewing blogs.  Do they ever give you an inferiority complex?  I mean, here are these gorgeous dresses, coats, and outfits, and many posters seem to indicate that these droolworthy creations took only a few hours to create.  I have three times that amount invested in this little sailor dress.  Tracing the pattern so as not to ruin the original, cutting and making the muslin, altering for my measurements, cutting the fashion fabric and sewing the actual dress - not to mention little things like seam finishing, etc.!  Is it me?  Am I slow?  Maybe.

Anyway, when I complete the button bacchanalia I will post pictures of the dress.  Meanwhile, here's a treat from Handmade Ryan Gosling!

No comments:

Post a Comment